Review of the National Experience of Measuring Gender Inequality in Ukraine, 2009–2021. Part IІ. Donor’s and Non-governmental Organizations’ Initiatives of Gender Measurements
The second part of the review describes and analyzes national gender measurement practices initiated in Ukraine by international donors and local organizations since 2009. The indisputable focus of international donors (five of the six instruments developed during this period) was found to be local-level measurements. Neither the national nor sectoral dimensions had such interested donor support. Thanks to these developments, certain steps forward have been made: several well-thought-out and well-structured tools have been proposed among the latest and developed by gender specialists from abroad; the thought-over structures of directions of gender measurement are offered.
At the same time, all tools developed for the local level: 1) were not correlated and had no connection with previous developments (each of them was developed autonomously); 2) five out of six did not provide a clear link with the national gender measurements, thus creating a gap between the results of local and national gender measurements and making them disproportionate in their results; 3) these tools did not provide, except for the gender passport of the Association of Ukrainian Cities, the regularity of their use, thus continuing the negative trend of irregularity of gender measurements in Ukraine; and did not propose to establish appropriate bodies; 4) did not provide for participation in development teams of relevant research institutions, or even only the participation of academic gender researchers. The developers are definitely dominated by civil society activists and their coordinators from international donor organizations. In addition, the number of developers in such development teams is usually small. This leads to non-compliance with scientific procedures in the development of tools and in the actual measurements and calls into question both the effectiveness of such tools and the objectivity of the results obtained with their help. It also pushes gender issues to the periphery of national research and education practices in Ukraine, depriving the gender equality advocates of the opportunity to integrate gender issues into professional activities in academia. It is because of the exclusion of the academic community from the processes of developing gender measurement tools that Ukraine is unable to obtain such an indispensable source of gender data as research data.
Conclusions were made on the serious and diverse experience of Ukraine in the field of national gender measurements, as well as the experience of creating groups and networks of active citizens ready to conduct such measurements to improve the social situation of their communities, regions, and cities. The need to move to the next stage of professionalization of gender measurements, their implementation on a solid professional basis, and integration into the activities of professional statistical, sociological, managerial institutions and communities are pointed out.
2. Henderna mapa Ukrainy [Gender Map of Ukraine]. (2012). VHO “Zhinochyі konsortsium Ukrainy”. Retrieved December 28, 2012 from http://www.gendermap.org.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
3. Ukrainskyі barometr dyskryminatsii: kompleksne otsinіuvannіa stanu dotrymannіa pryntsypu nedyskryminatsii (metodyka ta rezultaty pilothnoho doslidzhennіa) [Ukrainian barometer of discrimination: a comprehensive assessment of compliance with the principle of non-discrimination (methodology and results of pilot studies)]. (2018). Kyiv: Institute of Applied Humanitarian Research, Retrieved December 28, 2012 from https://issuu.com/undpukraine/docs/discrim_publication [іn Ukrainian].
4. Kodeks zakoniv pro pratsiu Ukrainy. Kodeks vid 10.12.1971 r. № 322-VIII, stanom na 15.12.2021 r. [Labor Code of Ukraine. Code of December 10, 1971 No 322-VIII as of December 15, 2021]. zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/322-08#Text [іn Ukrainian].
5. Gendernyi posibnyk. Praktychni rekomendatsii shchodo intehruvannia kompleksnoho gendernoho pidkhodu u robotu TSNAP [Gender Handbook. Practical recommendations for integrating a complex gender approach into the work of the Administrative Service Centres]. (2018). tsnap.ulead.org.ua Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://tsnap.ulead.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Gendernyj-posibnyk.pdf [іn Ukrainian].
6. Shist hromad rozrobyly henderni pasporty za pidtrymky Asotsiatsii mist Ukrainy [Six communities developed gender passports with the support of the Association of Ukrainian Cities]. (2021). auc.org.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://auc.org.ua/novyna/shist-gromad-rozrobyly-genderni-pasporty-za-pidtrymky-asociaciyi-mist-ukrayiny [іn Ukrainian].
7. The European Charter for Equality of Women and Men in Local Life. Council of European Municipalities and Regions. (2006). https://www.ccre.org. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://www.ccre.org/docs/charte_egalite_en.pdf
8. Khodakova, S. (2018). Keis mista Vinnytsi shchodo pryiednannia do Yevropeiskoi Khartii rivnosti zhinok i cholovikiv u zhytti mistsevykh hromad [Case of the city of Vinnytsia on joining the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men in the Life of Local Communities]. www.prostir.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://www.prostir.ua/?news=kejs-mista-vinnytsi-schodo-pryjednannya-do-evropejskoji-hartiji-rivnosti-zhinok-i-cholovikiv-u-zhytti-mistsevyh-hromad [іn Ukrainian].
9. The Atlas of signatories of the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men. The Observatory of the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men]. charter-equality.eu. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://charter-equality.eu/atlas-of-signatories-of-the-charter/presentation.html.
10. Khodakova, S. (2019). Dorozhnia karta rozrobky planu dii pislia pryiednannia mista do Khartii rivnosti zhinok i cholovikiv u zhytti mistsevykh hromad: Metodychni rekomendatsii mistam – pidpysantam Khartii [Roadmap for developing an action plan after the city joins the Charter for Equality between Women and Men in Local Communities: Guidelines for Cities – Signatories of the Charter]. Federation of Canadian Municipalities, International Technical Assistance Project “Partnership for Urban Development”. pleddg.org.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from http://pleddg.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Dorozhnya_karta_2019.pdf [іn Ukrainian].
11. Evaluation. Observatory of the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men in Local Life. charter-equality.eu. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://charter-equality.eu/methods-and-evaluation/analyse.html
12. Statti Yevropeiskoi khartii rivnosti zhinok i cholovikiv u zhytti mistsevykh hromad ta yikh zabezpechenist hendernymy indykatoramy [Articles of the European Charter for Equality between Women and Men in the Local Life and Its Indicators]. (2020). Kyiv Institute for Gender Studies kgsi.org.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://kgsi.org.ua/sites/default/files/projects/statti-yevropeyskoyi-khartiyi-rivnosti-pereklad_0.pdf [іn Ukrainian].
13. Ivanina, T., & Kyselova, O. (2021). Zaprovadzhennia henderno oriientovanoho biudzhetuvannia v obiednanykh terytorialnykh hromadakh Ukrainy: pidkhid ta dosvid Natsionalnoho demokratychnoho instytutu [Introduction of gender-oriented budgeting in the united territorial communities of Ukraine: approach and experience of National Democratic Institute]. 50vidsotkiv.org.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://50vidsotkiv.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/pdf/GRB-handbook.pdf [іn Ukrainian].
14. [Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and user guide. (2008). Paris: OECD. www.oecd.org. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://www.oecd.org/sdd/42495745.pdf
15. Osaulenko, O. G., Vasyechko, O. O., Puhacheva, M. V., Zhuk, O. P., Kolesnik, V. I., & Mykhailov, V. S. (Eds.). (2012). Statystychnyi slovnyk [Statistical Dictionary]. Kyiv: DP “Inform.-analyt. Ahenstvo” [in Ukrainian].
16. Instruktsiia shchodo intehratsii hendernykh pidkhodiv pid chas rozroblennia normatyvno-pravovykh aktiv: zatverdzheno Nakazom Minsotspolityky vid 07.02.2020 r. № 86 [The Instruction on the integration of gender approaches during the development of normative legal acts. Approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of 07.02.2020 No. 86)]. zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021, from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0211-20 [іn Ukrainian].
17. Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo otsiniuvannya hendernoho vplyvu haluzevykh reform: zatverdzheno Nakazom Minsotspolityky vid 14.04.2020 r. № 257) [Guidelines for assessing the gender impact of sectoral reforms. Approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of 14.04.2020 No. 257)]. zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0257739-20#Text [іn Ukrainian].
18. Hendernyi portret Vinnytskoi oblasti [Gender portrait of Vinnytsia region]. (2010). www.slideshare.net. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://www.slideshare.net/wcu/ss-6801474/] [іn Ukrainian].
19. Halustian, Yu. M., Herasymenko, H. V., & Makarova, O. V. (2009). Henderna statystyka Ukrainy: suchasnyi stan, problemy, napriamy udoskonalennia [Gender statistics of Ukraine: current status, problems, directions for improvement]. Kyiv [іn Ukrainian].
20. Yedynyi derzhavnyi vebportal vidkrytykh danykh [Unified state open data web portal]. data.gov.ua. Retrieved December 18, 2021 from https://data.gov.ua/] [іn Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 6 PDF Downloads: 2
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.