The Socio-Economic Development of Cross-Border Territories: Statistical Monitoring
Because the methodology for studying the socio-economic development of cross-border territories is still poorly developed in the Ukrainian science, this study aims to highlight its theoretical essence and justify the need for statistical monitoring and identification of practical problems related with its applications at personal, institutional and regional level.
Given the global market competition, the socio-economic development of cross-border territories is impossible without creating favorable financial, institutional and infrastructure environment. The socio-economic development of cross-border territories is determined by a set of indicators reflecting the capabilities of territories located on both sides of the border to produce a certain output of goods and services using the available human and material resources.
The importance of cross-border statistics grows with the expansion of cross-border cooperation. Cross-border statistics refers to the generalized information on the socio-economic development of cross-border territories; it has to support the CBC-related operation of central and local administration bodies and private entities in border regions, aimed at expanding business partnerships and meeting public needs on border territories.
The source of data for cross-border statistics is the statistics of border regions. The analysis shows that trial decisions used now in the Ukrainian statistics system for testing border region statistics, such as statistics of tourism, including travels abroad, are not capable to meet information needs of the regional development policy, foreign trade statistics and statistics of internal and external migration.
The statistics of cross-border regions has to face the following challenges: improve the comparability of statistical indicators by harmonizing statistical surveys’ methodology, terminology, definitions and classifications; expand and improve printing and publishing activities; develop analytical work; introduce and develop cross-border surveys; construct on-line cross-border database.
2. Zakon Ukrainy “Pro transkordonne spivrobitnytstvo” vid 24.06.2004 r. № 1861-IV, stanom na 02.12.2012 r. [The Law of Ukraine “On Cross-Border Cooperation” of June 24, 2004, № 1861-IV as of December 24. 2012]. zakon5.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1861-15 [in Ukrainian].
3. Ofitsiinyi sait Holovnoho upravlinnia statystyky u Lvivskii oblasti [The official website of the Chief Statistics Department in Lviv regions]. www.lv.ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.lv.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
4. Mikula N. A., & Zasadko V. V. (2014). Transkordonne spivrobitnytstvo Ukrainy v konteksti yevrointehratsii [Cross-border Cooperation of Ukraine in the Context of Eurointegration]. Kyiv: NISD [in Ukrainian].
5. Cierpiał-Wolan, M. (2008). Cross-Border Surveys – Some Methodological Aspects. Statistic In Transition. New Series, 9 (2), 361–366 [in English].
6. Uhoda mizh Kabinetom Ministriv Ukrainy ta Uriadom Respubliky Polshcha pro pravyla mistsevoho prykordonnoho rukhu: zatverdzhena Postanovoiu Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 28.03.2008 r. № 139, stanom na 17.12.2014 r. [The Agreement between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Poland on the Rules of Local Cross-Border Movement: Approved by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of March 28, 2008, № 139, as of 17.12.2014]. zakon2.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/616_138 [in Ukrainian].
7. Levytska O. (2016). Rozvytok mihratsiinykh protsesiv u prykordonnykh rehionakh: suchasni vyklyky ta shliakhy reahuvannia [The Development of Migration Processes in Border Regions: Contemporary Challenges and Ways of Response]. Proceedings from Sotsialno-ekonomichnyi potentsial transkordonnoho spivrobitnytstva [The Socio-economic Potential of Cross-border Cooperation]: Mizhnarodna naukovo-praktychna konferentsia – International Scientific and Sractical Conference (pp. 18–22). Lviv: Lviv Franko National University [in Ukrainian].
8. Oleński, J. (2011). Statistical parainformation platform – foundation of information transparency in heterogeneous international environment (with special reference to the Eastern Partnership initiative). Proceedings of the International Conference Development of the European Statistical System from the Eastern Partnership perspective – directions and strategy (October 18–20, 2011). Krakow: Central Statistical Office [in English].
Abstract views: 73 PDF Downloads: 69