Organization and Economic Principles for Collection, Storage and Utilization of Solid Household Wastes and Garbage: Macroregional Analysis
Processes of collection, processing, removal, storage and utilization of solid household wastes and garbage are analyzed. Problems associated with their organization were aggravating in Ukraine during the transition to the market-based economic model radically changing the waste treatment mechanisms operated in the period of administrative and command system. It is demonstrated that Ukraine still has no well-functioning management system enabling for the civilized treatment of household wastes, including their recycling and utilization. The process of household wastes and garbage removal is disorganized and erratic. The chaotic way of collecting household wastes and garbage, used in many countries as a resource supportive to the economic development, needs to be firmly rejected.
The global practices show that the problems of utilization and reuse of household wastes and garbage can be dealt with through intensive innovating and intellectualization. The effectiveness of solutions to the above problems is also conditional on two key actors: local self-governance bodies and citizens concerned with the matter. Assurance of social and environmental benefits is their necessary component.
By the current organization and economic principles, enterprises active in processing, utilization and storage of household wastes and garbage are assigned the key role in treatment of household wastes. The advanced organization and economic principles for collection, storage and utilization of household wastes and garbage in Ukraine can be introduced once the nation-wide conceptual model for the development of this economic activity is elaborated. It needs to rely upon the Keynesian model that accounts for not only the interests of capital, but conforms, in many ways, to the human values concerned with environmental protection. The mechanism for collection, removal, storage, utilization and processing of solid household wastes and garbage needs to be organized as a full-fledged component of the social reproduction process. The key problem which solution will help adopt the new organization and economic principles for utilization and disposal of wastes is to create the conditions for constructing waste recycling fact ories, including the system of preferences. As shown by practices of many developed countries, they ensure effective processing and recycling of household wastes and garbage and reduce the land areas required for wastes and garbage placement.
2. Toinbi, A. Dzh. (1991). Postizhenie istorii [UnderstandingHistory]. Moscow: Prohress [in Russian].
3. Montatova, L. V. (2004). Stmtehiia razvitiia: tsennosti novoi tsivilizatsii [Development Strategy: the Values o f a New Civilization]. Ulan-Ude: VSGTU [in Russian].
4. Prokip, A. (2012). Suchasni pidkhody do enerhozberezhennia liudstva v umovakh formuvannia suspilstva staloho rozvytku [Current Approaches to Energy Saving in the Formation of Sustainable Development Society]. Ekonomika Ukrainy - Economy of Ukraine, 5, 85-90 [in Ukrainian].
5. Moiseev, N. N. (1995). Sovremennyi antropogenez і tsivilizatsionnye razlomy [Modem Anthropogenesis and Civilizational Faults]. Voprosy filosofii - Problems of Philosophy, 1, 3-30 [in Russian].
6. Prystaiko, O. Ye., & Khlobystov, Ye. V. (2014). Ekoloho-ekonomichnyi potentsial staloho rehionalnoho rozvytku ta yoho indykatyvnyi vymir [Ecological and Economic Potential of Sustainable Regional Development and its Indicative Dimension]. Ekonomikapryrodokorystuvannia і okhorony dovkillia. Zb. nauk. prats DUIEPSR NAN Ukrainy. - Environmental Economics and Environment Protection. Collect ed papers of PIIEESD of the NAS of Ukraine, 101-104 [in Ukrainian].
7. Khvesyk, M. A., Stepanenko, A. V. (2014). Ekolohichna kryza v Ukraini: sotsialno-ekonomichni naslidky ta shliakhy yikh podolannia [The Ecological Crisis in Ukraine: the Socio-economic Consequences and Possible Solutions]. Ekonomika Ukrainy - Economy of Ukraine, 1, 74-86 [in Ukrainian].
8. Onyshchenko, V. P. (2014). Ontolohichnyi kontekst ekonomichnoi kryzy [Ontological Context of Economic Crisis]. Ekonomika Ukrainy - Economy of Ukraine, 4, 4-17 [in Ukrainian].
9. Nosova, O. (2011). Pro fundamentalni prychyny finansovykh kryz ta zhyttiezdatnist finansovykh rynkiv u suchasnii formi [On the Fundamental Causes of Financial Crises and the Vitality of Financial Markets in Modern Form]. Ekonomika Ukrainy - Economy of Ukraine, 4, 45-55 [in Ukrainian].
10. Lutsiuk, V. (2011). U liudstva ye shans vyzhyty [Mankind has a chance to survive]. Dyvosvit - Wonder- world, 3,5-9 [in Ukrainian].
11. Flolian, V. A. (2009). Instytutsionalne seredovyshche vodokorystuvannia: suchasnyi st.an ta mekhanizmy vdoskonalennia [The Institutional Environment of Water Using: Current State and Improve Mechanisms]. Lutsk: Tverdynia [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 109 PDF Downloads: 144