A Comprehensive Assessment of the Demographic Security of the Republic of Belarus
Security is a necessary component of the life of individuals and society as a whole. One of the most important components of the national security is demographic security, which achievement in the Republic of Belarus means the neutralization of threats such as depopulation, population ageing, degradation of the family institute and unregulated migration processes.
The article presents a methodology for a comprehensive statistical assessment of the demographic security of the Republic of Belarus for 2000–2019, based on of the dualistic approach to the interpretation of this concept, proposed by the author, namely: real and potential demographic security. The real demographic security is the degree of protection from demographic threats in the current social circumstances, which is largely determined by the compliance of government policy with demographic realities.
The proposed methodology for a comprehensive assessment of demographic security includes five consecutive phases: formulating a definition of “demographic security”, identifying demographic threats, building a set of indicators for a comprehensive statistical assessment of demographic security, assessing the effect of demographic threats (general and real), and, finally, assessing the degree of protection from demographic threats (real demographic security).
The structural components of the overall strength of demographic threats are the degrees of real demographic security and the real strength of the threats. The following trend in these values was observed in the Republic of Belarus in 2000-2019: an increase in the degree of real demographic security in parallel with a decrease in the degree of real combined strength of threats in 2015 compared to 2000, giving way to a decrease in the first indicator and an increase in the second one in 2019. It follows that the achievements of the Republic of Belarus in demographic security were short-lived. For a systemic change in the negative trends, it is necessary to form a favorable demographic situation through the active use of educational and propagandist measures.
2. Shakhotko, L. P., & Privalova, N. N. (2001). Demograficheskaya bezopasnost: sushchnost, zadachi, sistema pokazateley i mekhanizm realizatsii [Demographic security: the essence, objectives, system of indicators and implementation mechanism]. Voprosy statistiki – Statistical issues, 7, 16–21 [in Russian].
3. Epstein, N. D., Egorova, E. A., Karmanov, M. V., Smelov, P. A, & Karmanov A. M. (2013). Metodologiya analiza demograficheskoy bezopasnosti i migratsii naseleniya [Methodology for the analysis of demographic security and migration of the population]. Moscow: Finansy i statistika [in Russian].
4. Soboleva, S. V., & Chudaeva, O. V. (2008). Demograficheskaya bezopasnost Rossii i ee regionov: faktory, problemy, indikatory [Demographic safety in Russia and its regions: factors, problems and indicators]. Region: ekonomika i sotsiologiya – Region: Economics and Sociology, 3, 147-167 [in Russian].
5. Grishnova, O. A., & Kharazishvili, Yu. M. (2019). Demohrafichna bezpeka Ukrainy: indykatory, riven, zahrozy [Demographic security of Ukraine: indicators, level, threats]. Demohrafіia ta sotsіalna ekonomіka – Demography and Social Economy, 2 (36), 65–80. Retrieved from https://dse.org.ua/arhcive/36/5.pdf [in Ukrainian].
6. Aubakirova, Zh. S. (2016). Demograficheskoe razvitie i bezopasnost Kazakhstana (2000–2015 gg.): SWOT-analiz [Demographic development and security of Kazakhstan (2000–2015): SWOT analysis]. Vestnik Natsionalnoy akademii nauk Respubliki Kazakhstan – Bulletin of National Academy of Sciences of The Republic of Kazakhstan, 3, 79–88 [in Russian].
7. Maksakova, L. P. (2020). Demograficheskaya bezopasnost v sovremennom Uzbekistane [Demographic security in modern Uzbekistan]. Chasopys ekonomichnikh reform – Time description of economic reforms, 2 (38), 22–30. DOI: 10.32620/cher.2020.2.03 [in Russian].
8. O demograficheskoy bezopasnosti Respubliki Belarus: Zakon Respubliki Belarus ot 4 yanvarya 2002 g. № 80-Z [On demographic security of the Republic of Belarus. Law of the Republic of Belarus of January 4, 2002, No 80-Z]. mintrud.gov.by. Retrieved from http://mintrud.gov.by/system/extensions/spaw/uploads/files/o-demograficheskoj-bezopasnosti.pdf [in Russian].
9. Zdorove naroda i demograficheskaya bezopasnost Respubliki Belarus. Gosudarstvennaya programma na 2016–2020 gody: Postanovleniye Soveta Ministrov Respubliki Belarus ot 14.03.2016 № 200 [Public Health and Demographic Security of the Republic of Belarus. State Program for 2016–2020/ Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus of March 14, 2016, No 200]. www.government.by. Retrieved from http://www.government.by/upload/docs/filecdf0f8a76b95e004.PDF [in Russian].
10. Kvasha, A. Ya., & Melikyan, G. G. (Eds.). (1994). Narodonaselenie: entsiklopedicheskiy slovar [Population: Encyclopedic Dictionary]. Moscow: Bolshaya rossiyskaya entsiklopediya [in Russian].
Abstract views: 46 PDF Downloads: 19